Although we can not predict or guarantee who may react, most clients do not experience reactions beyond redness and minor irritation. Hair may break at the root during waxing, if hair is thin or weak, causing some hairs to grow out faster. Please follow these guidelines to minimize irritation and possible break outs.
Our Top 8 Waxing Tips
1. Avoid the sun immediately after waxing and wear sun screen; recently waxed areas are prone to hyper pigmentation (permanent darkening of the skin) if exposed to the sun or solarium. Avoid saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools and other heated sources for at least 48 hours.
2. Avoid heavy exercise for at least 24 hours after waxing.
3. Do not use exfoliating products (AHAs, scrubs, etc) and loofahs for at least 24 hours after waxing as they might further irritate your skin.
4. Avoid tight clothing after waxing, especially in the waxed areas. Tight clothing may result in irritation and ingrown hairs.
5. Regular twice to three times per week exfoliation or use of Neostrata Glycolic Body Lotion is helpful to remove dead skin so your hairs can get out above the surface of the pores and not become ingrown.
6. No hot baths, hot showers or sexual activity for 10 hours after a Californian, Brazilian or Hollywood. While your pores are open, they are vulnerable to irritation by the extreme temperatures and infection by bacteria.
7. Moisturise with a tee tree or lavender lotion after every shower, this has a soothing healing, antibacterial effect. If using an ingrown solution, use this alone until the in growns and redness is minimised, then return to using a product such as Neostrata Glycolic Body Lotion for maintaining your bikini area.
8. For long term improvements book in for regular treatments and do not shave in between treatments.
Clients should have the tan done at least one day before a special occasion to allow for a follow up appointment and top up tan if required. Spray Tanning is not suitable for anyone experiencing psoriasis, eczema, cuts, abrasions or during pregnancy. In dry skin conditions spray tan adheres to these areas and results in an uneven patchy colouration. During pregnancy hormonal changes affect the skin’s reactivity to certain products and this may apply to spray tans also.
Before Spray Tanning
- Moisturise every day (even when not preparing for a spray tanning session), as this will keep your skin hydrated and looking younger. By getting into this habit, when it is time for a spray tan, the colour will look flawless resembling a natural tan.
- Wax/Shave 1-2 days before getting your spray tan to reduce skin irritation and to ensure an even tan.
- The day before your spray tan, be sure to exfoliate your skin. This will ensure that your skin is soft, smooth and free of dead skin cells. Exfoliating will help the spray tan adhere to your skin and fade evenly. Pay more attention to your neck, elbows, knees, ankles and feet. Bliss Beauty recommends using Elemis Frangipani Monoi Salt Glow or Elemis Lime and Ginger Salt Glow. Then apply a moisturiser Bliss Beauty recommends Elemis Frangipani Monoi Body Cream or Elemis Skin Nourishing Body Cream
- On the day of your spray tan, shower as normal, ensuring that you remove all traces of body lotions and moisturisers. Do not apply any creams/lotions/moisturisers/make up before your spray tan.
During your Spray Tan
- Hold arms away from your body and ensure your thighs do not touch as the spray tan solution will remain wet for a few minutes. Do not touch your body with your hands as this may stain your palms and streak your tan.
- Some bronzer may rub off onto your clothes after your spray tan, therefore we ask that you wear dark, loose clothing, thongs and dark underwear (for your convenience, we will offer you a disposable g-string and a hair cap to be worn during the tan). Any clothing with tight bands may cause marks. Please bring a pair of flip flops to wear after your tan. Do not put jewellery back on when getting dressed after your spray tan.
After Spray Tanning
- Please do not shower, exercise, use make up, deodorant, or perfume for the first 8 hours directly after your spray tan as this is how long it takes for your spray tan to fully develop.
- Shower and do not bath. California Tan can be showered off as soon as 2 hours after tan application, but the longer the tan is left the deeper the colour will develop. If possible, wait at least eight hours or preferably overnight and try to keep your shower short and warm.
- Avoid using products with SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate / Sodium Lauryl Sulphate / Sodium Laureth Sulphate) as this will strip your spray tan. Do not use any Dove products.
- After you shower, pat your skin dry, do not rub!
- Avoid saunas and Jacuzzis.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! Moisturise twice a day every day to prolong the colour of your spray tan (and to keep your skin young and healthy)! Bliss Beauty recommends Elemis Frangipani Monoi Body Cream or Elemis Skin Nourishing Body Cream
- Remember to wear extra protection in the sun as the self tan spray does not provide any sunscreen. Although you look like you have a tan remember to apply an SPF sunscreen when outdoors to keep your skin from burning.
Manicures and Pedicures
Elemis Body and Massage Therapy
Not suitable during pregnancy and/or whilst breast feeding:
- Elemis Deep Tissue Muscle Massage
- Elemis Aroma Stone Therapy
- If you have never had this treatment done before at Bliss Beauty a patch test must be carried out 24-48 hours before the procedure.
- If you wear contact lenses these must be removed before tinting is carried out so please bring alternative eyewear.
Neostrata Performance Peels
What are the Peels?
The NeoStrata® Performance Glycolic Peel is a peel containing the Alphahydroxy acid, Glycolic Acid.
What is Glycolic Acid and what does it do?
Glycolic Acid is found in its natural state in sugar cane. It is the smallest molecule of the AHA family and therefore is optimally absorbed into the skin. Clinical studies have shown that sustained daily treatment with low concentrations of glycolic acid in conjunction with short courses of higher concentration peels brings about a normal stratum corneum (the outermost surface layer of the skin) with increased resiliency and enhanced cell renewal, as well as a plumper, firmer skin matrix. The result is healthier, younger looking skin, with a smoother texture and visually fewer fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation irregularities and blemishes.
Is there any reason why I cannot have the treatment?
The treatment cannot be carried out if you have certain skin conditions, if the area of skin to be treated has been the subject of surgery in the last six months, if the skin is broken, if you are currently taking Roaccutane (or have taken it in the last six months) or taking or using topically any other prescribed anti-acne preparations and have not discusses their discontinuation with your GP. It cannot be carried out if you are pregnant or lactating as your skin’s sensitivity may be greater at this time. Our therapist will be checking your skin’s suitability during your consultation.
Could I be allergic to the treatment?
Occasionally, but not often, clients may experience allergies to glycolic acid treatments. To test your sensitivity to the product, a patch test will be carried out on your skin prior to carrying out any treatments. The patch test must be completed at least 24 hours prior to your first peel.
If you are a regular sufferer of cold sores, we recommend that you use the anti-viral aciclovir for five days before the treatment, on the day of the peel and for two days following the peel.
What happens in the treatment and how long does it take?
Before the peel is applied your face is thoroughly cleansed of all make-up by your therapist. The first and second treatment peels are applied for only two minutes. Following your first two treatments, your therapist will assess your skin’s progress and tailor the application time and product strength appropriately to optimise the benefits for your skin. Following the application of the peel your therapist will then apply a neutralizing solution to neutralize the peel. After removal of this, your therapist will then apply a sun block and a Neostrata moisturiser (Bionic Face Cream). You will spend no longer than 15 minutes in treatment.
How will my skin feel and look, during and after the peel?
During the application of the peel you will experience a slight stinging, itching sensation. This is perfectly normal and it is an indication of the treatment working effectively. Following the treatment some redness and tingling may, sometimes occur. This will subside after a short period of time.
Can I wear make-up after the treatment?
For maximum benefits from the treatment, we recommend that make-up application is avoided until the day after the treatment.
Is there anything I should not do before or after the treatment?
Hair removal by depilatory creams, waxing or electrolysis in the area to be treated should be carried out one week prior to treatments. Shaving should not be carried out on the day of treatment. If possible use the skincare regimen and products recommended by our therapists. Otherwise use mild unperfumed or not strongly perfumed products and avoid using exfoliators or exfoliating sponges or mitts on the area of treatment. Do not pick or pull at skin. Avoid the use of sun beds a week before, during and one week after treatments.
Why do you recommend a course of these treatments and how often should I have treatments?
One treatment alone will not produce any visible benefits in the skin’s appearance and therefore we can only recommend a course of treatments (6 treatments with one peel applied every two weeks) to ensure maximal results and satisfaction from the treatment.
Why is it important to use the Neostrata products and sunscreen when I am having a course of these treatments?
The usage of Neostrata skincare regimen at home will increase the skin benefits and optimise the results of the peels. Your therapist will recommend the products best suited to your skin type and/or condition.
A sunscreen must be used daily when using any glycolic acid products or having glycolic acid treatments, as such treatments increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Your therapist will recommend a product that is best suited to your skin type. Due to increased sensitivity to sun, the use of sunbeds and sun lamps should be avoided during treatments and whilst using Neostrata products.